Author Topic: Correct Style Engine Comparment Harness?  (Read 23440 times)

X33RS

• View Profile
Re: Correct Style Engine Comparment Harness?
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2016, 11:01:12 PM »
Just for reference, here's a picture of the 2 wires at the starter solenoid.  Man these pics are a pain the rump for me to load so please anyone feel free to save these if needed for future reference because I don't know how long photobucket will keep these up.  I keep losing pics.

Anyway, both of these wires are also wrapped in cloth.  The smaller wire is the "R" terminal wire, the same wire in my earlier picture that is up at the coil wrapped in cloth (supplies 12 volts while cranking).  As you can see it's covered in cloth the entire length before it's wrapped in tape.

The other heavier 12 gauge wire is the "S" terminal to supply power to the solenoid, and again it's wrapped in cloth the entire length coming all the way over from the firewall junction, and then wrapped in tape with the rest of the harness.

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2016, 02:44:41 AM »
heres my covered starter wires and the 2 that comes from aaw that are on the factory fit that are not covered
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2016, 02:49:20 AM »
I'm betting that cloth covering is an asbestos based material for insulating those wires from HEAT....
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2016, 12:22:35 PM »
Yeah that stuff usually was back then.  I have a box of about 200 feet of asbestos insulation in a box.  It's maybe 3/16" I think, you can barely push a pair of 16 gauge wires through it.  It's somewhat stiff and very tough compared to this cloth stuff on these factory harnesses though. 

Bill, it looks as though they are using different color wires too.  None of my starter wires are yellow or purple, as you can see.   Although I'll try not to concern myself with that, it's been difficult enough just to get the daggum cloth wrapping, lol.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2016, 05:34:14 PM »
These are from a non gauge car... IDIOT LIGHTS-  also note that the clip which bolts to the trans is gold irridated on the repro and black dipped in black plastic on the original. 
FWIW the yellow wire down to the starter was cloth covered. it is peeling off in the photo

Yes every gauge car I have seen has double cloth wrapped the non gauge cars have had single cloth covered.

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2016, 02:49:37 PM »
Thanks James,   With what you've seen on all the original gauge cars, and what I've read here, I'm confident we are on to something.

Unfortunately it doesn't sound like American Autowire is able to help either.  Here is the response I got this morning.
-------------------------------------------------
Good morning Larry,

I pulled one each of our CA97542 and CA95266 harnesses from the shelf (and took a look at the GM prints) to check into this for you. The wires you mention in your harness do not have any type of cloth covering on our harness, and I do not see any mention of the covering on the GM blueprint. This could mean there was a change to the harness during its service life, but I can say I'm not aware of any harnesses we manufacture that would include that type of cloth wrapping.

The resistance wire used in a points ignition harness does have a cloth look, but does not have a covering on our harness or in the print. The water temperature sender wire will use what we call "asphalt sleeving" in our catalog. This would be the closest to the covering in your photos, but is black in color.

We'd have the asphalt loom available to sell by the foot, but no type of sleeving as shown in your photos available. Sorry it's not an easier answer on this one...as mentioned my suspicion is this would have been a revision at some point in the production run.
---------------------------------------------------

So it appears they can't even put cloth on the wiring even if requested.  Sounds like you get what you get and that's it.
  So what I'm going to do at this point is forget buying the engine harness, keep what I have even though the cloth on mine is ratty, it's at least original and has merit to the cars original gauge package.   I'll buy a new light harness that has the charging system wiring as it appears there isn't any special coverings on that harness (other than the temp sender but they are duplicating that)
   So for those looking to duplicate a factory gauge car engine harness, it doesn't appear anyone has a "correct" harness but rather a generic version.  If someone can find a source of the white cloth covering that may be the only route to take.  I have yet to find any in my searches.

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2016, 03:03:49 PM »
I am not at home but I believe the wire they used on mine wasn't a cover but was part of the wire. They do have the stuff. I wonder in the aim if there is a difference on cars with gauges and they don't see that. It was frustrating dealing with them and they did correct mine. I told them there was evidence here that there is a difference in harnesses. I doubt if the cared to look
1968 RS 327 4 speed

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2016, 04:43:25 PM »
It's the same thing with the wire harness clips which hold the harness to the fender rad support etc... they were originally black now they are white, I would have a few thousand injection molded in black if they would use them.
James
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2016, 07:15:29 PM »
Since they are on the other side of the country I just can't pop in and talk face to face.  So I'm reluctant to deal with them about it either via email or phone since they seem reluctant to correct the harness as we stand right now. 
   According to Marc that wrote the reply above, he states they have nothing of the sort that even resembles cloth.  In another email he did state the cloth looking substance is part of the wire just as you mention Bill, however he tells me that only comes in the resistance wire only, as that's how they receive it from their supplier, he can't do the other coil wire and he can't do the starter wires, they don't come that way.  Ironically that's the same reply I got from Lectric Limited too.
   Bill, I'm not sure how you got yours fixed but right now they seem uninterested in dealing with it.

So apparently we are stuck with incorrect engine harness for gauge cars.   

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2016, 08:23:07 PM »
It's the same thing with the wire harness clips which hold the harness to the fender rad support etc... they were originally black now they are white, I would have a few thousand injection molded in black if they would use them.
Same or similar with bolt that holds wiring harness' connection to firewall. Theirs is yellow zinc and originals are clear zinc. They know several of these things as I have talked to reps. Recently had a ground wire sent to me that missing and it was $12 but shipping I found out when arrived was over $13 and the wire 10" wire fit in an envelope. Dang!
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

firstgenaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2016, 09:25:39 PM »
I replaced the center bolt as well, used a set of expanders on the ring and then closed it back with pliers.
James

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2016, 10:10:05 PM »
Makes me wonder what they replaced mine with.  I am not home or would post a picture.
1968 RS 327 4 speed

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2016, 10:45:59 PM »
I'd be curious too Bill.  My guess is that they probably sell so many 69 Camaro engine harnesses as they are, that they really don't care to change anything.  They are making their money and there are only a select few of us that care about little details like cloth coverings, and we aren't where their profit is.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2016, 02:33:04 PM »
I replaced the center bolt as well, used a set of expanders on the ring and then closed it back with pliers.

Yes as many of us have I'm sure James! I used my orig but glass beaded it and then clear zinc done. Just a note for all the bolt they use which is yellow zinc was just about exactly the same as original except for coating. Seems like it would be such an easy change to correct.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2016, 01:50:03 PM »
I can live with the bolt plating or the white plastic clips, because both of those are easy to fix, and the bolt is pretty much impossible to see when the car is assembled anyway.

The cloth to me though is a major screw up that is very visible, especially up by the coil.  I found it interesting that they have changed the color of the starter wires too.

On another note,
He mentioned the covering to me that they use for the temp gauge wire.  A heavy black colored covering that was talked about earlier.  I have a box of about 200 feet of that stuff, mine still being the real asbestos material.  I know what they use today wouldn't be asbestos so I'm curious how well they duplicate this part.  Again, another very visible part of the harness, however part of the front light harness I believe.

anything