Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Restoration / Re: bellhousing alignment-any new info?
« Last post by Mike S on Today at 06:14:45 PM »
   My transmission went through needle bearing pilot bushings a lot. Here is a past CRG thread. Check out my reply #12. I used a magnetic gauge from Harbor Freight to dial in the bellhousing alignment. http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=16097.0
I stopped using the needle bearing and went back to the bronze bushing now that the alignment is dialed in correctly.

Mike
« Last post by JST69Z28 on Today at 04:24:58 PM »
Input shaft photo attached.  It looks OK, plus the new bearing fits well.  Feedback welcome. 

I want to do the best job possible and have no issue ordering a dial indicator and doing the most accurate checks.  I have had the car 42 years and the bellhousing alignment has never been checked.  This car is street driven only and never shifted hard.  Reviewing the CRG report, I see how to check for concentric alignment but there is no mention of the parallel check, and I want to do that, too.   It was mentioned Jody's Transmissions has a .pdf file on how to do the checks?   How can I get that?  I would be glad to call Jody and request it, and also buy parts from him.  Thanks for all the great info.
« Last post by Stingr69 on Today at 02:39:49 PM »
Ball bearings on the input shaft are more tolerant to bell housing misalignment. Muncies use that type. 

Factory bell housing alignment are usually good enough for service with the Muncie and with a bronze bushing they are trouble free and easy to service.  Newer reproduction bell housings or aftermarket bell housings are more frequently out of alignment enough to need offset pins to correct it.

The newer design Tremec transmissions use a tapered roller front bearing that is more intolerant of bell housing runout so it needs to be checked and corrected before buttoning it all together.

As for the pilot bearing vs bushing - the bushing works great and is easy to remove and install.  The bearing is more difficult to remove, more intolerant of misalignment and does not bring anything to the table so....Why would anyone prefer a pilot bearing?  JMO.
« Last post by Sauron327 on Today at 12:40:49 AM »
M20, and when I put one in 20 years ago the needle bearing was recommended to me at that time over the bushing, and reading the CRG report it also says to use the needle bearing.   
Bellhousing misalignments don't like pilot bearings for one thing. Jody told me to use a bronze bushing he shipped me for his Muncie and not the pilot bearing I had. For decades the oillite bronze bushing is all we used. And those cars were/are beat on mercilessly. Jody or someone else can explain in greater detail. What does your input shaft look like after that failed pilot bearing got at it?
« Last post by GMAD_Van Nuys on May 17, 2024, 05:24:13 PM »
There are dial indicators with magnetic bases that are relatively inexpensive and available from a number of sources.  I've ordered items from Summit Racing and gotten everything quickly:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900016-1?seid=srese1&ppckw=pmax-tools
« Last post by JST69Z28 on May 17, 2024, 05:11:13 PM »
M20, and when I put one in 20 years ago the needle bearing was recommended to me at that time over the bushing, and reading the CRG report it also says to use the needle bearing.   
« Last post by Sauron327 on May 17, 2024, 04:36:34 PM »
The CRG article only addresses concentric alignment and not parallel. Both should be measured. Parallel affects concentric readings. I have a large box of shims for parallel adjustment. Jody's Transmissions will not warranty his trannys without this procedure being documented. You can buy a small shim kit from him instead of a large box I have. Jody sent me the instructions in PDF. If you get a kit from him he can send it to you, as well as answer any questions. He has offset dowels if you do end up needing them, is great to deal with and did a M22Z for a job of mine. I use a dial indicator to check alignment.
What tranny are you running and why a needle pilot bearing instead of a bronze pilot?
Restoration / bellhousing alignment-any new info?
« Last post by JST69Z28 on May 17, 2024, 01:44:58 PM »
I removed the transmission in my 69 Z28 to replace seals and found the pilot bearing had failed.  See photo, the needles are mostly gone and it was dry.  I installed a new clutch 20 years ago and had no noticeable vibrations or any other problems.  I read the CRG bellhousing alignment report and any other posts I could find on the subject.  Is the bearing failure a common problem?  Should I look into purchasing the alignment tool to check?  I have never checked it.

I called Browell, and they are backordered for 2 weeks on the tool.  Cost is now $160, and they sell adjustable dowels for 36.80/pr.

Has anything changed in the past few years in the way of new tools or inspection processes that I should know about?  Any recommendations?  I do have a QuickJack to raise the car 1-2 feet, but for the most part will be on my back doing this.  Thanks for any advice.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
anything