Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Originality / Re: trunk mat
« Last post by CantRepeat on Today at 06:02:02 PM »
I too naively bought one from them. I ended up just throwing it away and cleaned my original as best I could.
Originality / Re: Wiper motor stamping
« Last post by CantRepeat on Today at 05:59:21 PM »
Wow the washer pump cover is clearly different than my 11B LOS.

The stamping doesn't match either.

Wasn't there discussion about using different vendors at some point?

Thanks for the post! I really appreciate it.
Restoration / Re: Plug for 1969 Z/28 Intake Oil Fill Tube Hole
« Last post by MO on Today at 05:25:53 AM »
Hmmmm....6 speed?
Originality / Re: trunk mat
« Last post by Charley PHX on May 14, 2024, 08:58:05 PM »
I believe (may be mistaken) MOST of the vendors re-sell the same supplier product, because it looks (to me) like many of them use the same stock photo? You have to 'strategically' (LOL) trim the mat depending on several variables: coupe or convertible? Spare tire placement? (several possible hook locations) and maybe also year (shock placement). The trimming is not easy because (obviously) it is moulded (that's the whole point, right?) and you can't un-cut any mistakes.

Out of the box; the mat may seem to be longer than needed? I concluded the excess material was supposed to come up the tail panel (shielding the taillight wiring), with the assumption of aligning wheel well cutouts to the wheelhouses. This turned out to be the right assumption. It now seems obvious, but at the time I did mine I could not find it explained anywhere. This may be more readily apparent on a coupe (shocks being another reference point), but convertible has additional seat support and the mat goes up the support panel.

Once you determine where the tire-hook-hole needs to be; you can radius its corners using a brass compression fitting & a hammer on a wood block.

Probably will also need to cut out for the fuel filler inlet. The mat goes under the fuel filler shield, and around the trunk latch bracketry. This can be straightforward if original appearance is not a concern (otherwise another science project).

Convertible placement is especially tricky to get proper fitment around the cocktail shakers. Does this apply to you? (this becomes a considerably lengthier discussion).

Still another spin-off discussion (if points/originality are a concern) might address sound deadener underlayment. There is a great deal of discussion elsewhere on CRG (and other sites) on this topic.

I tried to make & use templates for the fuel filler & cocktail shakers, seemed like a great idea, but didn't work as well as I hoped. The molded mat contours made this tricky in practice. My results improved when I used "live" fitting in conjunction with "planned" (i.e. template) cuts, and making adjustments on-the-fly (if hadn't already cut something that i shouldn't have).

Hope this helps?
« Last post by Delco115 on May 14, 2024, 07:16:20 PM »
I once had a similar problem finding spare parts for my camaro M6. The mechanic ended up making his own.  I'm always impressed by people with fabrication and machining skills. It's a valuable skill, especially for car enthusiasts. Thanks so much to him for helping me out one day

Pray tell, just what is a "camaro M6" ???
« Last post by Charley PHX on May 14, 2024, 06:48:36 PM »
This is the style we decided was correct for my 04D/LOS car
« Last post by Charley PHX on May 14, 2024, 06:37:20 PM »
Late to this party, been away for awhile. There was a lot of research done on this subject in the 90's(?), also briefly mentioned in the old 'Camaro Enthusiast' magazine (Jan. 1998). There were 2 different styles documented (at that time) and the author went to great lengths to track down the stampers. Don't think he participates on this forum anymore but I'll reach out to him?
« Last post by joshuato on May 14, 2024, 09:22:18 AM »
I once had a similar problem finding spare parts for my camaro M6. The mechanic ended up making his own.  I'm always impressed by people with fabrication and machining skills. It's a valuable skill, especially for car enthusiasts. Thanks so much to him for helping me out one day
« Last post by Edgemontvillage on May 13, 2024, 08:28:09 AM »
I had a run of intake plugs custom stamped at a time when I was unable to locate a correct replacement on the market. Originals were steel with no markings or stampings. The plugs I had made are exact. I have a supply still available, if you need one please send a PM.
Originality / Re: Spare tire
« Last post by rare396bronze on May 13, 2024, 12:21:08 AM »
Only used on 68-69 convertible not coupe! Coupe only uses nut and jack base like Badshifter picture 2nd one down on left side. Hope this helps.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
anything