Author Topic: How to tell if console gauges are original to car  (Read 11459 times)

ZLP955

• View Profile
Re: How to tell if console gauges are original to car
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 03:06:00 AM »
additionally, another small feature is checking the console itself.  Look for the cutout on the lower front half of the console, and check the lower console mounting bracket to see if the guage wiring harness bracket and plug socket are there.
An interesting point was raised on the console bases and wiring harness details in the AIM by Chick during his 68Z build thread over at Team Camaro. The theory is that no '68 consoles had a cutout in the front, nor a console bracket with the harness clip, but that in '69, all brackets had the harness connector clip, and a forward cutout. This is irrespective of the console having gauges or not.
Since that was raised as a possible theory, I have looked at every 68-69 console on eBay, CL and at swap meets, and have never seen a 68 console (off-white plastic, viewed from beneath) with a cutout, nor a 69 (black plastic) without a cutout.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 04:07:34 AM »
I never realized it was a question.
I know that as the difference between 68 and 69 parts.
Kurt S
CRG

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 11:43:28 AM »
I never realized it was a question.
I know that as the difference between 68 and 69 parts.
The 68 vs 69 console details? Good to know that is indeed a confirmed difference then, thanks Kurt!
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 01:32:28 PM »
additionally, another small feature is checking the console itself.  Look for the cutout on the lower front half of the console, and check the lower console mounting bracket to see if the guage wiring harness bracket and plug socket are there.
An interesting point was raised on the console bases and wiring harness details in the AIM by Chick during his 68Z build thread over at Team Camaro. The theory is that no '68 consoles had a cutout in the front, nor a console bracket with the harness clip, but that in '69, all brackets had the harness connector clip, and a forward cutout. This is irrespective of the console having gauges or not.
Since that was raised as a possible theory, I have looked at every 68-69 console on eBay, CL and at swap meets, and have never seen a 68 console (off-white plastic, viewed from beneath) with a cutout, nor a 69 (black plastic) without a cutout.
Yep, and the console plate that holds the seat belts for the shoulder harness is painted black. :)
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584