Author Topic: Cowl induction vs Fuel Injection  (Read 1592 times)

anthony69

• View Profile
Cowl induction vs Fuel Injection
« on: May 09, 2020, 12:28:44 PM »
Hey Everyone,

This is my first post on CRG.  I have a 69 camaro with a fairly stock 350.  I am completing some upgrades and I'm trying to decide between cowl induction system ( I have the cowl hood now), investing in fuel injection, or just running a dual snorkel design.  Currently its just a basic filter sandwiched between metal. I want to know if the gains are significant for everyday driving. I have a Holley 670 carb now.  Really just looking for good all around performance street and highway.  Current set-up is Tremec 5 speed with 4.11 rear and stock 350 with headers.

Thanks for any input.

J

KevinW

• View Profile
Re: Cowl induction vs Fuel Injection
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 12:49:49 PM »
Welcome!  So an Air cleaner design is not the same as a fuel delivery solution :)  If you have a cowl hood, I would recommend completing the setup with the correct air cleaner.  But swapping Air cleaners will help not help engine breathe better then the open element you have now.

Now if you switched to a carb replacement fuel injection (Holley sniper, FItech, etc), then the driveabilty of the engine will improve.  Better fuel management will help your engine work to its best performance.

But...  if the cam and heads are slugs, then better fuel management will only go so far. :D  All tough decisions based on size of wallet vs how many mods you want to do.

anthony69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 01:34:42 PM »
Thanks KevinW,

The heads are the GM double hump.  They haven't been touch in 30 years so I don't know if that is a good or bad thing.  The intake is from a Z28 and the cam is very mild. I have read that a better set off heads would greatly improve the flow but again the objective is just a reliable fun car to drive that doesn't require too much attention.

J

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 03:20:02 PM »
"objective is just a reliable fun car to drive that doesn't require too much attention."

Suggestion Summit "Blueprint" 383 Crate motor  & sell the other parts to fund.
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

anything