Author Topic: 1969 Front Seats; Too Far Leaning Back  (Read 1966 times)

WaltZ

• View Profile
1969 Front Seats; Too Far Leaning Back
« on: May 15, 2020, 06:47:39 PM »
Any thoughts on putting 1" blocks under rear of front seat frames to lean the backs forward some.
Great for sleeping though.
Thanks in advance.

169INDY

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Front Seats; Too Far Leaning Back
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 11:53:35 PM »
I have heard of some guys using Body Shims, but 1" Wow!  Start slow and you will be surprised
Check your Rubber seat bottom Bumper and I was under the impression the seat back upright has a adjustable stop with a Phillips recess for some more added adjustability,
Take a peek?

JIM
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 11:29:00 AM »
Any thoughts on putting 1" blocks under rear of front seat frames to lean the backs forward some?....
Thanks in advance.

Yes, here is my thought. Safety. Before you make a mod to your seats, think about it dislodging in an accident. You and your broken seat hurling into your dash at any speed is not going to end well. I maintained this older gents antique car collection for years. He was rather tall and every vehicle he owned, including his daily late models, he had me modify and move the driver seat location rearward For leg clearance. I was always mindful of how my alterations would hold up in a collision. The last one I did, I did not want to do as it was in a car that had all the sophisticated modern restraints / air bag system. So my advice, consider the physics and all the ramifications of a modification. Use quality hardware.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 11:47:17 AM »
The phillips stop and rubber bumper are not adjustable, they are they just to cushion the seat back when it goes back.  The main culprit is people dropping into the seat and pushing back on the seat back over time.  What happens is the arms of the hinge bow outward and seat leans back.

The fix is to remove the seat back (shown in my instructions here: https://www.camaros.net/forums/23-interiors/391289-restoring-your-front-bucket-seats-69-standard-shown.html )

And hammer the arms straighter (sorry not shown :() and re-install. Little bit of comparison with pass side to get them to match.

But replace the rubber bumper anyways! :D

WaltZ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 12:58:48 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll lean on these for a while before I make any changes.

anything