Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

The straight skinny on post '65, pre-mid '70, Hurst shifter plating

(1/5) > >>

Shadow Ahead:
The more I delve into the matter of whether factory and aftermarket shifters made by Hurst in the indicated title period of this subject, the more muddy the waters become.

Literature, including page 52 ( but I do not currently own a copy) of Pete Serio's Volume 1, 'Vintage Hurst Shifters', an email to Pete Serio in which he restates what he said on page 52 of his book, and vintage '62 and '63 Hurst ads which state under features that all Hurst shifters and hardware ( obviously not the triple chrome shifter stick ) are cadmium plated.

So what is the deal? What actual testing proof or documents outside engineering documents which usually list heat treatments, fastener coatings, etc. but are wish lists from engineering(if those documents exist at all)exist? Company memos and service bulletins sent out to customers might list actual production facts such as cadmium or zinc and chromate hardware and shifter control boxes.

Outside the above, what, if any, testing has been done to determine original, factory coatings? If they have been done, are there documents, posts, photos, and so on attesting to the results found?
Thanks.

Steve Avery

KurtS:
Specs on drawings are not wish lists, they are requirements.

Pete has done the most research. Else talk to someone that worked for Hurst back then.
And look at original parts - I've seen cad plating, but possibly other plating too.

Shadow Ahead:
The problem is looking at parts is not proof.
I've contacted Pete. My personal experience has been unless it is aviation, aerospace, military, or crucial suspension, brake, or drivetrain components, specifications for materials and processes applied to hardware can change between the drawing and production.

I have some other contacts in mind, thanks for the idea!

Steve

firstgenaddict:
You are making statements regarding specs in a 1962 advertisements for Hurst Shifters, yet asking questions about 65-69 Hurst supplied OEM shifters.
Apples to Oranges
GM's specs may or may not have been the exact specs for what Hurst supplied to the aftermarket.
Example elimination of the positive stops in the comp plus, the bayonette handle and rubber insulator were not used, nor were the rubber bushings in the shifter gates for the rods, these were done to accommodate the OEM's, not for performance.

69Z28-RS:
and..  in addition to what James said..  if the GM drawing supplied to Hurst as a part of their PO/contract stated 'cad plating'.. then the parts would be rejected on receipt were they not cad plated.   Hurst would have latitude to change at will on their consumer parts.. but not on their contract parts to GM.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page