Author Topic: 1969 Indy Pace Car Registry  (Read 1417 times)

tbenvie

• View Profile
1969 Indy Pace Car Registry
« on: October 26, 2022, 08:37:13 PM »
Though there already exists a thread on this, it was recommended I start a new thread due to the last post date on the old one

I am researching the various Indy 500 Pace Cars for an upcoming book, compiling info I have collected for almost 40 years-now that I am retired I hope to make sense of it. After I finish each year of research I create a Facebook group to solicit comments, corrections, additions, etc. The 69 Camaro group is here:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/379798613258127

I have completed the majority of years, and have to say the 69, 70 Olds, and 89 Pontiac owners share everything and as a result there is an abundance of information. I have been able to collect most of the 500 Festival Assignment sheets over the years that notes the VIN, name, model, etc of all the cars at the track for most years, the oldest being 1970. I am recreating the 69 sheet based on the info I have for 66-69, plus the actual sheets for 70 and up. There were a total of 170 vehicles sent to the track by Chevrolet in 1969, with 133 of them being Camaros. Thus far I have confirmed the VINs of 102 Camaros through NCRS help, so only 31 to go! Dr Mansell recorded the numbers of the 43 Festival Cars and others. Would anyone know who has his exact paperwork? The 1970 info was shared and there are many, many photos with annotations, VINs, etc. He did the same for 68 Torinos so I am guessing there is more 69 info than a VIN list.

Of the 102 Camaros I have from the track I have the plate number and assigned name for 70 of them. If anyone has an Official or Festival Car used at the track i would appreciate the info as the work is quite tedious at times. I have also collaborated with Paul McDonald and now Richard Byrd sharing the info. Thus far there is over 900 VINs recorded.

As far as registries, I began a 1968-70 AMX registry back in 1973, and still update it. I also try to keep a registry for each year Pace car, and though it sounds impossible I have been able to record every single Car used at the track and the dealer replicas for the years 1992 to date with just a few exceptions (For instance in 1994 there were 127 Mustang GTs used at the track, and 1000 Dealer Replicas. I have the complete VIN and build info for all but 8 of the dealer replicas). I have a pretty good list of cars prior to 1991, but there is a lot of hesitation for some years about sharing, so not as many (for instance, only have 10% of the 1972 Hurst Olds cars).  I am holding out hope the 1969 list will show up-recently I was sent a 1978, 1988, and 1989 list out of the blue. Thanks to everyone for all the help thus far.

tbenvie

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Indy Pace Car Registry
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 09:36:19 PM »
If i could I would like to clarify some info.

After the 1957 race a group of 5 Indianapolis businessmen thought there must be a way to get the 300K or so race visitors to come to downtown and spend some money. Thus was created the 500 festival Associates. There were 33 Directors (to equal the number of race drivers) and they each had specific assignments. The first item was to plan the 500 festival Parade, to this day smaller than only the Rose Bowl and Macys Thanksgiving Parade. As the AMA had a rigid ban on any type of motorsports the Speedway had to purchase two Pontiacs as Pace Car and back-up, one eventually being awarded to the winner. In 1959 a local Buick dealer provided 25 cars to the track and 500 Festival Associates to use as the Pace Cars, to promote the race, and especially for the 500 festival parade. They were various Buick model converts with various colors. In 1960 another local Oldsmobile dealer provided the two Pace Cars and 100 other white Olds converts. These were different models with different interior colors and options. (Because 100 of the exact same car would be a tough re-sell after the race). Each of the 500 festival Directors were given a car to use to promote the race and the sides were lettered as "500 Festival". The Festival Queen and a few other Board members also received one of these cars. The remaining cars were lettered to resemble the actual pace Car and were provided to the track and USAC Officials, local celebrities such as radio and TV personalities, newspaper and national media. Thus began the 500 Festival Cars. For 1961 Ford wanted to provide a Golden Anniversary Thunderbird to the track for use, and once again some were lettered for the 500 Festival, others to resemble the pace car. (Though in 1961 all the cars were the same color and interior). In 1962 the Oldsmobile dealer once again provided cars, though from his Studebaker dealership. This time the 500 Festival Directors received white Lark converts with a variety of interior colors and options. In 1963 Chrysler provided 300 convertibles, and though there was a special "Pacemaker Blue" color, many of the 500 Festival Cars were painted red, black, white, etc. 1964 the new Mustang was the Pace car, and all were lettered to resemble the actual Pace car. The festival Cars had a large white tag in the front window to designate a 500 Festival Director or not. These also had a variety of interior colors. And once again in 65 with the Fury.

For 1966 the 500 Festival had a new emblem, used on stationary, street signs, banners, etc. And on the 500 Festival Directors cars. All the 66 Cyclones were lettered like the Pace Car, and the decal was only for the 500 Festival Directors cars.  This held true up to at least 1980. So in 1969, the Camaros would have the 500 Festival logo on the car if they were assigned to the 500 Festival Directors. They would also have special 500 Festival license plates, numbers 1-43. There was also 70 other Camaros at the track and they had "Official" license plates, numbers 1-49 and also numbers 88-125 - two Pace Cars did not have a plate and I am pretty sure the Winners Car was display only and also did not have a plate. (Plates numbered 50-86 were the Support Vehicles - Impalas, trucks, etc). So technically when one talks about a "Festival Car" it is one of the 43 so designated with the 500 Festival logo. The others are "Official Cars" (though now the Speedway would prefer they be called "Parade Cars").

I have a large database with 69 Camaro Convert VINs and it appears all the cars at the track were Norwood build 02D date codes. However, I have 47 other V8 Camaro converts (Pace Car or not) built during that time frame. It should also be noted the 43 Festival Cars were all identical, while the Official Cars varied in equipment.   I am missing many Body Numbers, but the festival cars are close, though not sequential as there is more than 43 numbers between the lowest and highest.

And a word on the winners car.  Mario Andretti stated he gave it to his brother-in-law after a few years, and he eventually sold it to a local Nazareth, PA person. In the 1980 interview, he stated he would still see it around once in awhile. I cannot find much about this car, but Chevrolet learned their lesson from 1964 and 1967. AJ Foyt received the Pace Car both years, and both years stated (from the podium at the winners banquet) that he would not accept a car without AC or a power top. (And there were many stories of how he was leaving the track when it began to rain and he couldn't close the top-none of it is true). Chevrolet stated they would build him another car, but to the same price point as the original-thus it was not a 396. (And Ford did the same in 64). For 1969 the winners car did have AC and a power top, and possibly other options such as power windows. Engine size is only speculated). There is unfounded rumors the car went to Australia or Sweden. It would be within the Official Cars at the track as it was present during the race period.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 06:15:03 PM by KurtS »

TwoBryans

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 02:15:41 AM »
Is there any way to be able to access the 1969 Camaro festival car list? A friend of mine has a Z11 and someone told him it was a festival car and he asked if I could help him find out. I appreciate anything anyone can do to help me in advance!

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 03:22:21 AM »
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

tbenvie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2024, 05:22:26 AM »
Since this was posted I now have 128 of the 133 cars used at the track, with an NCRS report for each of them (I also found every 94 Cobra and found there were 1002, not 1000!). Still deciding what to do with the information-publish it or just have people send a VIN to confirm.  There is much to be said about both ways. Thanks for the link-I've seen it already. Here is my Facebook group onthe cars with plenty of information.

If you have a VIN you can send it to me via email or Messenger (from facebook) and I will tell you if I have it or not. I am working with NCRS to get the missing five cars, and hope to have everything finalized in a few weeks. It was a long and expensive project.

My email is tbenvie at comcast dot net.