Author Topic: Preservation of a 68 Camaro  (Read 62614 times)

FRANKTHECRANK

• View Profile
Re: Preservation of a 68 Camaro
« Reply #390 on: September 06, 2023, 02:55:52 PM »
The more you show of that car, the more solid as a rock it proves to be. Don't get me wrong, I love your idea of "preserving" the car and not restoring it, but that particular car would be a perfect starting point for a soup to nuts restoration if it were available for someone looking to do just that. Thanks for the update, I enjoy this thread a lot.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 06, 2023, 04:57:02 PM »
Frank, I agree, but then it would look just like all the rest of the restored cars. I think it will draw more interest this way, at least from me. Even though I think he's nuts.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 07, 2023, 01:05:54 PM »
Thanks...  I think.?.  I been called worse.  Never have been considered "normal".

Photos 804 - 805 - Diff removed.  More to come.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 07, 2023, 01:59:00 PM »
I mean it in a good way. Will you touch up bare spots like in corners of the frame? Or leave them bare with wax to keep them from rusting?

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 07, 2023, 02:32:24 PM »
I knew what you meant.  Its all good.  I have been asked this question by several people about touching up items or the firewall etc.  I have no plans to repaint anything or touch up anything.  Now with that said I have had to paint the battery tray and horns as they were stripped and primered before my time.  Could I change my mind later on?  Of course but I am trying very, very hard to keep from making the car "better/prettier" than it is outside of just cleaning and preserving.  Also keep in mind I will have to paint the front fenders as they were both "worked on" (pass fender was primered) unless I can find a pair of original paint fenders which I have not been successful.  I will have to cross that bridge at some point and I'll make the best decision/option at that time.  Once I start painting or touching up it can snowball quickly so I have to keep myself in check.  I am not rich and I do everything on a very very small budget.  Which is what I am trying to highlight for others out there.  You don't have to have a 1K point / $100k car to enjoy it.  Clean it up, make it safe and enjoy the journey.  That is not a dig or slam to those out there that do that.  Its their money and property so do whatever you want and makes you happy.  Right or wrong at the end of the day I am doing this the way I want.  Which is what I encourage everyone to do when working on their car.  As I said previously, I've never been called normal.   8)   

Thanks for the comments/replies.

NAPA68

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 09, 2023, 01:14:55 AM »
That car is really coming full circle!!

jbtech

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 10, 2023, 01:45:51 AM »
D, it's been inspiring to follow your build. As a previous owner of your car has stated, it's like a "shiny penny!" Nice work!
Jose

67 Camaro L78
124377N212598

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 10, 2023, 03:30:52 PM »
There’s preservation candidates and restoration candidates. It’s original only 1 time. I’ll take the preservation car all day.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 10, 2023, 03:34:45 PM »
Amen

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 12, 2023, 12:15:29 PM »
I appreciate the replies gentlemen. 

Moving on.  Started removing the 50 year old dirt from the lower bulkhead/floor area.  Also note the rear brake hole bracket only had 1 bolt and there is no signs of a bolt being installed into the lower hole.  Cleaning process was the same as all the others.  Citrus degreaser, blue scotchbrite pad and elbow grease.  I will through a coat of #7 on everything once I am completely finished with the underside of the car.  I still need to work on the pass side tub area and the tail pan section but progress is progress.  Also have all the hardware from the leaf spring shackles and shock plates soaking so those photos of before and after will follow in a day or so.

Photos 806 - 807 - Before cleaning

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 12, 2023, 12:16:32 PM »
Photos 808 - 810 - After.  I am also gonna try out the Evaporust gel as I picked up a small bottle of it several months ago and this will be a perfect area to give it a try.  I don't recall where or who asked the question about original red primer vs red overspray but the last photo shows the majority of the floor has healthy amount of body color and the primer in the diff area for comparison.  This was already established that LOS cars got more color on the floors vs NOR cars but this is just another example of that.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 13, 2023, 06:28:13 PM »
Leaf springs are out and note that the original 4 leafs are still there but a 5th leaf was added.  This was a common in drag racing applications.  I do not plan to remove the 5th leaf as I thing it is a part of the cars story.

Photos 811 - 813 - Leaf springs after removal.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 13, 2023, 06:31:58 PM »
While the diff is out I popped the cover.  Diff was replaced at some point.  This is a BL0401G coded rear (C 21 8 casting).  Gears are 4.10's & dated 7/68 and again not original to the car as it is a 12D build date.  What I found interesting and MAYBE the original carrier which is dated E 29 H (May 29th of 1967).  Can I prove it?  Of course not but it certainly makes you wonder..  I do not believe the gears and carrier are a matched set due to the almost a year difference in dates but I I have seen "Stranger Things"..   ;D

Photo 814 - Dates on carrier and ring gear.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 13, 2023, 06:36:13 PM »
Last up for today are some of the hardware on the diff.  Common issue with removing leaf springs are the clip nuts for the leaf spring mounting bracket.  Broke one on each side so I will have to source 2 bolts which I'm sure I have in my hoard of bolts and nuts.  Hopefully I have the clip nuts also.

Photo 815 - Before cleaning. 

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 13, 2023, 06:40:38 PM »
Photos 816 - 817 - Some of the items after cleaning with degreaser and soaking in Evapo.  Still have the rest soaking.  Note the shackles still showing signs of the dipped black as well as black overspray from the gas tank blackout on LOS cars.