Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

Grille color on a X44?

<< < (11/11)

firstgenaddict:

--- Quote from: KevinW on September 19, 2014, 02:26:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: rsr on September 16, 2014, 04:37:49 PM ---Thanks Kevin for posting that pic...Did you find any signs of it being mask off on the back side to keep from getting on the argent? I would guess the amount of overspray would vary as well?

--- End quote ---

I don't recall looking for that kinda evidence :) but the back was not painted with silver, only from the front, so the back edges did not have silver.  It appeared to be painted on a rack facing front and the body color being painted to cover the outside edges that show. That is where the overspray came from. There was little overspray on the bottom of the grill.

--- End quote ---
You are correct they were molded in grey plastic and painted silver, probably before they were shipped to the assembly plants... here is an original RS grille in DETAIL... These pictures were taken of the same grille the same day with the same camera.

If you have a piece of original silver grille and cut into it... there is no metallic in the grey, even if cut sanded and polished there is no evidence of any metallic in the molded plastic.
That leaves 2 possibilities either they were painted argent before they were shipped to assm, or maybe there was a deviation on what Mark was saying in that some type of an argent release film was sprayed in the mold when they were cast (this is my imagination thinking about how else a coating could be applied during a molding process, I have no idea if it is even possible in a production environment.)

m22mike:
What you guys said, molded in gray plastic. Have cut into a few for repairs.

Mike

rsr:
 I got a chance to work on a nos grill that was made from the gray plastic and it has had a light coat of silver sprayed on the center section because when wiped with lacquer thinner it was coming off as expected on my rag. The owner of the grill paid 1400.00 and it came with 2 bottom tabs broke off and complete break above the LH head light. I had always thought the centers were not painted and that was the reason for being cast in silver/gray plastic but now I can only go by the evidence I have seen on this 1 grill....?

KevinW:
Glad you guys confirmed that I was not imagining the silver paint on the center of the grill! :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page