Author Topic: trunk mat  (Read 507 times)

Rustynut

• View Profile
trunk mat
« on: March 27, 2024, 12:17:56 AM »
I just received my order from "Camaro C" for a moulded trunk mat original style. Its a rubber moulded houndstooth mat that comes rolled in a box. Does not unroll well. Its not cut properly and it simply doest fit. I was naively hoping for something nice. I ws hoping I could still attach my spare tire. Something like this probably doesnt exist. If you happen to know any better options, I would love to hear from you! Thanks in advance

Charley PHX

• View Profile
Re: trunk mat
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2024, 08:58:05 PM »
I believe (may be mistaken) MOST of the vendors re-sell the same supplier product, because it looks (to me) like many of them use the same stock photo? You have to 'strategically' (LOL) trim the mat depending on several variables: coupe or convertible? Spare tire placement? (several possible hook locations) and maybe also year (shock placement). The trimming is not easy because (obviously) it is moulded (that's the whole point, right?) and you can't un-cut any mistakes.

Out of the box; the mat may seem to be longer than needed? I concluded the excess material was supposed to come up the tail panel (shielding the taillight wiring), with the assumption of aligning wheel well cutouts to the wheelhouses. This turned out to be the right assumption. It now seems obvious, but at the time I did mine I could not find it explained anywhere. This may be more readily apparent on a coupe (shocks being another reference point), but convertible has additional seat support and the mat goes up the support panel.

Once you determine where the tire-hook-hole needs to be; you can radius its corners using a brass compression fitting & a hammer on a wood block.

Probably will also need to cut out for the fuel filler inlet. The mat goes under the fuel filler shield, and around the trunk latch bracketry. This can be straightforward if original appearance is not a concern (otherwise another science project).

Convertible placement is especially tricky to get proper fitment around the cocktail shakers. Does this apply to you? (this becomes a considerably lengthier discussion).

Still another spin-off discussion (if points/originality are a concern) might address sound deadener underlayment. There is a great deal of discussion elsewhere on CRG (and other sites) on this topic.

I tried to make & use templates for the fuel filler & cocktail shakers, seemed like a great idea, but didn't work as well as I hoped. The molded mat contours made this tricky in practice. My results improved when I used "live" fitting in conjunction with "planned" (i.e. template) cuts, and making adjustments on-the-fly (if hadn't already cut something that i shouldn't have).

Hope this helps?
'67 04D (LOS) L-35/M20 (-L181A) Convertible (owned since 1975) - Bow Tie 981/1000 GOLD (July 2023)
'67 06D (LOS) L-78 Coupe (body) (1979 barn find) - Traded 2018 to my car builder!

CantRepeat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 06:02:02 PM »
I too naively bought one from them. I ended up just throwing it away and cleaned my original as best I could.
-Tim
67 RS/SS Vert C-1 797-Z LOS 11B
EXDL 2EMGR 3SL
4P

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 07:10:25 PM »
Pretty sure there is 1 supplier for most of the reproduction parts in most cases. You'll have to make the best of it. Take your time and trim it Pretty.

RAfbody

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2024, 12:14:05 AM »
I got one from them last year for my 67 coupe and I was happy with it. It fit well with extra material that I tucked under the fuel filler shield.
Russ

anything